Best way to restore/refurbish/refinish alloy parts?
Close
Login to Your Account
CBR250 Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Best way to restore/refurbish/refinish alloy parts?

Junior Biker
    Member #

Best way to restore/refurbish/refinish alloy parts?

Hi all, i was wondering if anyone has any good tips for restoring alloy parts. My exhaust, rearsets and frame could do with a bit of tlc as they look like this. Im not expecting a factory fresh appearance but getting rid of the pitting would be good. Iv tried autosol &a mild scouring pad, my next step will perhaps be a dremel or sanding mouse &polish or very fine grit sandpaper or wet/dry followed by dremel. What do you guys do/think? Best way to restore/refurbish/refinish alloy parts?-image.jpg Best way to restore/refurbish/refinish alloy parts?-image.jpg Best way to restore/refurbish/refinish alloy parts?-image.jpg

Member #
    You gotta hit that shit with sandpaper. Take the parts off, get yourself somewhere comfortable to sit and go at it. Start off with fairly rough paper, youll need it to get rid of the pitting.

If you want a polished finish then youll need to work your way up the grades of paper, finishing off with some really fine stuff and then autosol. On the footpegs, you can preserve the finish with some clear lacquer but it will just burn on the exhaust, leaving a mess.

I got a brushed finish on my top yoke by using a ruler and some medium grit paper, but it might not be easy to do on irregularly shaped stuff like yours. I managed ok on my forks, but if you look closely, the lines arent straight

speedo drive before and after:

Member #
    Fine steel wool for the gunk and oxidisation. Autosol and elbow grease to finish it off. Cheats way is aluminum enamel on a clean surface. But can flake off and looks shit after a week of use.
    Quote Originally Posted by schultzy View Post
    I stuck a battery up my arse.
    Yeah, that's a cool story...

4. Remove Advertisements
    CBR250.com
    Advertisements

Junior Biker
    Member #
    Thanks guys,iv started on the exhaust with some 800 grit &its working well to remove the pits &scratches. Someone has had a go before me i with a wire brush or something i think because some of the scratches on the end of the can are pretty deep & regular. i think i will have to dremel it to get a good finish though.

Biker
    Member #
    Light abrasive blasting followed by re-anodization or some sort of surface protection. Or else you'll be re-polishing it every week.

Member #
    Don't use a dremel on it. The contact area is too small in comparison to the workpiece and it will be almost impossible to achieve an even finish.

If you feel you need to use power tools, use a drill and the biggest possible mop suited for each part so that you can cover as big an area as possible in one pass. Personally, I would stick with doing it by hand. It will take longer but you have much better control over the final finish.

Member #
    Ive also found that scrunched up wet aluminium foil works well too. Theres a chemical reaction involved, but thats for you to care about

\"You know when you see a group of bikers and theres one with a louder exhaust than all the others? You\'re that guy\" - Juxt, TNB