• 1 Post By isaacelms
  • 1 Post By phreak911
  • 1 Post By isaacelms
  • 1 Post By Bikeboom

Thread: Bad pickup coil ?

Biker
    Member #

Question Bad pickup coil ?

hi. some times my bike doesn't start. when it occurred i checked the spark and there were no sparks in all 4 plugs. so at the same time i checked the pickup coil and it showed open circuit. but after sometimes when i checked it again it showed correct ohm reading. so what i did was just plugged the coil again and started the bike and it worked fine. the problem is i can't predict when it occurs and when it works again itself. this happens only in start up sometimes. it doesn't matter whether the engine is cold or hot, the pick up coil goes bad. but when the engine runs, it works really well. no miss firing or any other problem regarding the spark. i'm hoping to replace this pickup coil. i checked the two wires with multi meter for any damage and they were ok too. just wondering why it's not working only in start up sometimes. please give some advice. thank you.
    Last edited by Bikeboom; 15th April 2017 at 07:30 PM.

Member #
    Have you checked the earth that is right near the coils?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
    Bikeboom likes this.

Member #
    I think he means the pulse generator, also called the pickup coil, which is inside the left engine casing, and if so, there is another thread in these forums somewhere that describes what the resistance should be and how to test it (I was reading it just the other day). Correct me if I'm wrong though :-) Also, you will want to check that the live side of the plug that feeds back to the CDI (located under the back end of the fuel tank, in a plastic bracket) is corrosion free and has a good connection. Good hunting! :-)
    Last edited by phreak911; 16th April 2017 at 06:03 AM.
    Bikeboom likes this.
    Saint by Day... Sinner by Night!

Quote Originally Posted by banana.logic
    Your mum affects my sag.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    What. the. fuck.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CBR250.com
    Advertisements

Biker
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by isaacelms View Post
    Have you checked the earth that is right near the coils? Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
    yea i check its resistance. i think it's the coil itself. today it happened again and then i checked it and the ohm reading was "1" which is open circuit. then i removed the coil from the starter clutch cover and checked the wires with multi-meter while shaking the wires and the the wires were ok too. thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by phreak911 View Post
    I think he means the pulse generator, also called the pickup coil, which is inside the left engine casing, and if so, there is another thread in these forums somewhere that describes what the resistance should be and how to test it (I wap reading it just the other day). Correct me if I'm wrong though :-) Also, you will want to check that the live side of the plug that feeds back to the CDI (located under the back end of the fuel tank, in a plastic bracket) is corrosion free and has a good connection. Good hunting! :-)
    thank you

Member #
    I do have a set of coils that I don't use, if you need to replace yours then let me know. I haven't checked them but the bloke I bought them off was 100% certain that they worked.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
    Bikeboom likes this.

Biker
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by isaacelms View Post
    I do have a set of coils that I don't use, if you need to replace yours then let me know. I haven't checked them but the bloke I bought them off was 100% certain that they worked.Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
    thank you very much. much appreciate your help. one of my friends has one. i'll try it and let you know
    isaacelms likes this.