Login to Your Account
CBR250 Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Made in Thailand vs Made in Japan rectifier

Biker
    Member #

Question Made in Thailand vs Made in Japan rectifier

hi today i went to buy a rectifier for my bike. i could see two boxes with same part number. but one is "Made in Thailand" and the other one is "Made in Japan"
    the "Made in Japan" one is very expensive ( almost double the price of "Made in Thailand" one ). so i'm bit confused. why those tow have different prices even though they share the same part number and same rectifier (apparently) inside the box ? Isn't that Thailand one OEM ?

i'm planing to buy that "Made in Thailand" one coz the Japanese one is very expensive. hope it would be much better than a normal Chinese after market rectifier. please give some advice to choose a good rectifier. thank you.

Japanese one
    Name:  s-l300.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  12.3 KB

Thailand one
    Made in Thailand vs Made in Japan rectifier-dsc00486.jpg
    Last edited by Bikeboom; 18th April 2017 at 08:29 AM.

Member #
    quality - one will be Honda made in japan and is likely old new stock waiting for a home. the Thailand on is a one fits all and is designed at a price and made to the lowest spec that it can be whilst still doing what it does under Honda license. nothing to say the thai one will not work, but will it last as long as the jap one? probably not - will it last the life of the bike? probably. if you got a warranty with it good. but you pay for piece of mind.
    Bikeboom and phreak911 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by schultzy View Post
    I stuck a battery up my arse.
    Yeah, that's a cool story...

Member #
    All the Honda regulators are unreliable Japanese or otherwise, the biggest enemy of the rectifier is heat, I'd buy the cheap one and use heat transfer compound on a clean frame and you should be right.

The other better option if you don't mind minor modification is to replace it with a Yamaha 5 pin and you're laughing.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CBR250.com
    Advertisements

Biker
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipry View Post
    quality - one will be Honda made in japan and is likely old new stock waiting for a home. the Thailand on is a one fits all and is designed at a price and made to the lowest spec that it can be whilst still doing what it does under Honda license. nothing to say the thai one will not work, but will it last as long as the jap one? probably not - will it last the life of the bike? probably. if you got a warranty with it good. but you pay for piece of mind.
    thank you very much for your explanation. now i got it put that Thailand one today. works well hope it won't give any trouble

Biker
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    All the Honda regulators are unreliable Japanese or otherwise, the biggest enemy of the rectifier is heat, I'd buy the cheap one and use heat transfer compound on a clean frame and you should be right. The other better option if you don't mind minor modification is to replace it with a Yamaha 5 pin and you're laughing.
    oh i see. is that Yamaha one good ? may be i would buy one just to keep it as an extra do you have any picture or a model number for that rectifier ? thank you

Member #
    Are these 2 different parts being sold by the same shop or are you seeing them for sale in different places? There is no reason why the Japanese one should be more expensive than the Thai one purely because they are the same OEM Honda Part Number. The people selling it must be capitalising on the fact that people are willing to pay a premium for Japanese manufactured parts. If you went to an online parts supplier and ordered the same part number, you aren't going to know where it was manufactured before it arrived and would you even care?

Who is to say that the Thai part is going to be any less reliable than the Japanese one? Sure there is a history there but you aren't buying an unbranded generic part, you are buying an OEM Honda part which will come with a certain level of quality control.

As the others have said, upgrading to a more modern unit is ultimately the better job but at the end of the day if you want to buy OEM, buy OEM and the country of manufacture shouldn't be a factor in the price you pay.

Biker
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by motthomas View Post
    Are these 2 different parts being sold by the same shop or are you seeing them for sale in different places? There is no reason why the Japanese one should be more expensive than the Thai one purely because they are the same OEM Honda Part Number. The people selling it must be capitalising on the fact that people are willing to pay a premium for Japanese manufactured parts. If you went to an online parts supplier and ordered the same part number, you aren't going to know where it was manufactured before it arrived and would you even care? Who is to say that the Thai part is going to be any less reliable than the Japanese one? Sure there is a history there but you aren't buying an unbranded generic part, you are buying an OEM Honda part which will come with a certain level of quality control. As the others have said, upgrading to a more modern unit is ultimately the better job but at the end of the day if you want to buy OEM, buy OEM and the country of manufacture shouldn't be a factor in the price you pay.
    thank you for you explanation. actually even if we check it online we can see that price difference.

here's the Thailand one ( same rectifier which i bought )
    link1
    link for a picture

here's the Japanese one
    link1
    link2
    link3
    link4

thank you.
    Last edited by Bikeboom; 20th April 2017 at 09:21 AM.

Member #
    I think you are reading too much into this lad. What I meant was that if you bought the part of one of the normal OEM parts suppliers such as CMSNL or David Silver Spares, you may not even get to see a photo of the part label and you would be none the wiser of where it was manufactured.

None of the links you provided even state the country of manufacture in the text, its just the fact that they show a photo of the label that gives you any clue.
    As for the Partzilla link, thats just a stock photo so there is no guarantee you would actually receive a made in Japan part if you ordered from them.
    Also, if you look closely at the second Japanese link, you will see its actually a Thai part.

Administrator
    Member #
    I was a parts guy for 30 years. If the part number is the same (as in IDENTICAL, as it is in this case), it's considered the same part by Honda. If Honda felt there was a difference between the two, at ANY level, they'd have a different part number (in this case, usually XXXXX-XXX-020, instead of -010). As Mot said, there wouldn't be any distinction in the parts prices published by Honda. I'm baffled that any vendor would make a distinction based on country of origin!
    Bikeboom likes this.

Biker
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by motthomas View Post
    I think you are reading too much into this lad. What I meant was that if you bought the part of one of the normal OEM parts suppliers such as CMSNL or David Silver Spares, you may not even get to see a photo of the part label and you would be none the wiser of where it was manufactured. None of the links you provided even state the country of manufacture in the text, its just the fact that they show a photo of the label that gives you any clue. As for the Partzilla link, thats just a stock photo so there is no guarantee you would actually receive a made in Japan part if you ordered from them. Also, if you look closely at the second Japanese link, you will see its actually a Thai part.
    Quote Originally Posted by WERA689 View Post
    I was a parts guy for 30 years. If the part number is the same (as in IDENTICAL, as it is in this case), it's considered the same part by Honda. If Honda felt there was a difference between the two, at ANY level, they'd have a different part number (in this case, usually XXXXX-XXX-020, instead of -010). As Mot said, there wouldn't be any distinction in the parts prices published by Honda. I'm baffled that any vendor would make a distinction based on country of origin!
    yea i think you both are correct. so are those Made in Thailand ones are fake parts ? coz i bought it around 65$. the made in Japan on is way more expensive according to the google. you can see my box below which i purchased few days back. rectifier works fine. all i want to know is that whether this one is OEM Honda or a fake one. thank you.

Made in Thailand vs Made in Japan rectifier-156bepw.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast