Login to Your Account
CBR250 Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By wriggle

Thread: MC22: Only instrument backlighting not working

Junior Biker
    Member #

MC22: Only instrument backlighting not working

I bought this bike a few days ago and it was all grand. Everything was working as it should. Yesterday the battery died. I took it to a battery place and they said a cell must've gone kaput.
    Come back today, new battery installed and putting out a solid ~13V but the instrument backlights won't turn on at all. However, the neutral, indicator, etc cluster are all working fine. I've checked the bulbs are working and replaced them anyway with Eclipse's LED bulbs but to avail.

I'm at a loss. Do any of you have an idea?

Member #
    there is a power feed to the cluster that is fused. the fuse sits in the "airducts". usually if the fuse is blown the lights (depending on how they are wired - may have bypassed switch block etc for higher W globes so it does happen) may not work and the revs will be stuck to 6K rpm as the speed limiter will be on all the time. if it is not fuse, then it is literally spending a day with a multimeter and alligator clips to find a break in the circuit, then fix, then ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by schultzy View Post
    I stuck a battery up my arse.
    Yeah, that's a cool story...

Junior Biker
    Member #
    The fuses are all good.

I strapped a battery to the dash and the lights work, so the wires from the connector to the dash are fine.
    Next I doddled about with a multimeter in the connectors attached to the loom and found they were producing ~11V on the correct pins.

But still no lights when the dash is correctly connected. The lights should still work at 11V, surely?

4. Remove Advertisements
    CBR250.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Check your earth point. Sounds like thats the only thing you haven't checked yet.
    Saint by Day... Sinner by Night!

Quote Originally Posted by banana.logic
    Your mum affects my sag.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    What. the. fuck.

Junior Biker
    Member #
    I'm pretty new to all of this. I can't seem to find the earth point on the wiring diagram. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9L...BIamJueDg/edit

Would one of you be able to point it out to me? (or better yet, explain where on the bike to find it...)

Member #
    I've circled it in red, location on the bike "should" be on the top mounting bolt of one of the ignition coils, or, if your bike is like mine (read, modified), I've changed it to behind the left side radiator mount. Its a green wire, if I remember correctly...?

MC22: Only instrument backlighting not working-screenshot_2017-05-11-22-43-19.jpg

MC22: Only instrument backlighting not working-screenshot_2017-05-11-21-52-59.jpg
    Last edited by phreak911; 11th May 2017 at 04:54 AM.
    Saint by Day... Sinner by Night!

Quote Originally Posted by banana.logic
    Your mum affects my sag.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    What. the. fuck.

Junior Biker
    Member #
    I have made a mistake. I tested the wrong pins on the dash connector. The correct green and brown/white have 0V across them.
    From the wiring diagram, the brown/white wire comes from the LHS switch block.

Edit: Well... I just went out to have another look and now the tail lights aren't working properly. They do turn on when the front and rear brakes are activated. They are powered by what appears to be the same brown/white cable as the dash lights.

Should I simply source an alternate wire loom and replace the current one? This is bizarre that first the dash lights would stop working and now the tail lights. Aside from those two, every other light works fine... for now, I suppose.
    Last edited by wriggle; 12th May 2017 at 06:48 AM.

Junior Biker
    Member #
    Good news!
    It was a dirty contact in the LHS switch block. The blanked out light switch was filthy. A healthy spraying of contact cleaner, a good scrubbing, and everything works as it should.
    phreak911, Slipry and Pygmygod like this.