newbie need help on modification. thanks
Close
Login to Your Account
CBR250 Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 48

Thread: newbie need help on modification. thanks

  1. #1
    Junior Biker
    Member #
    1878
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    19

    newbie need help on modification. thanks

    hey all, i just bought myself a 90 model cbr250rr (imported in 2007).
    its a dead stock bike, so on my mind right now im thinking about changing the exhaust (maybe scr*amin demon), i saw on youtube a video on this exhaust and it sounds awesome. so my question is, do i gain any power of it? is it plug and play? if i want to gain more power out of this bike what is the simplest way of doing it? i heard about simple carburator setting could easily give me more power. thanks for the help guys. i appreciate it.

    note : please dont give me stupid advise like putting more stickers to it to gain power, or colour it red, or change the light fluids, or even shit about the power band, because i saw on other thread and people instead of helping they just making fun out of the noob, i know im a noob, but i sincerely ask for a help here. so thank you for any realistic suggestions.

  2. #2
    Ace Eclipze's Avatar
    Member #
    27
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    9,477

    RE: newbie need help on modification. thanks


    As a serious comment... before you put money into the power, put a proper chain on, get some good tyres (not Arrowmaxes) and service the suspension. Arrowmaxes are hard square profile commuting tyres... get rid of them for some sportsbike tyres. Enough can't be said for the suspension. This can make a big noticeable improvement to handling and traction.

    Get the bike working well first... then poke around for a bit more power.

  3. #3
    Ace Hessian's Avatar
    Member #
    61
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North QLD
    Posts
    11,396

    RE: newbie need help on modification. thanks

    The power gains from changing the exhaust in real world terms are pretty much negligible. You'll enjoy the ridiculous noise for a while, but then the novelty will wear off and you'll have basically the equivalent of a trailer trash fishwife screaming in your ear every time you go for a ride.

    If you want more power, you may have to wait until you're off LAMS and get onto a 600 or so. Take the CBR for what it is and improve your ridecraft skills before hopping on something with license-stealing power.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    CBR250.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Biker ronski's Avatar
    Member #
    644
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Cork, Ireland
    Posts
    1,248

    RE: newbie need help on modification. thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by BERAK.LITS
    so thank you for any realistic suggestions.
    ....



    Piss on it

  6. #5
    Ace shane's Avatar
    Member #
    111
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    13,475

    RE: newbie need help on modification. thanks

    in the 250, the engines are built to pretty much to their limit so theres no real powergains to be made without spending retarded amounts of money on it.

    as eclipze said, tyres and suspension will make the world of difference to the bike and how it feels. when i did that to my old 250, it was complete worlds apart from what it was previously

  7. #6
    Biker
    Member #
    191
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    773

    RE: newbie need help on modification. thanks

    Changing your sprockets will give you a bit more pull.

  8. #7
    Junior Biker
    Member #
    1878
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    19

    RE: newbie need help on modification. thanks

    hey all, thank you for the quick reply, i didnt think i would get it back that quick..

    the bike had already have a major service, chain, sprocket, front forks services were all done. yeah, i think it still have the standard arrowmaxx rubber at the moment, but its considerably new, so i dont think i want to change it just yet. but yeah, i will keep that in mind, next time i will get a pair of bridgstone battlax.

    and about the 600cc, i really dont think i will end up with them coz to be honest with you, im not a big tall person who can manage to stay upright with a big toy like r6 or cbr600rr.. im only 160cm 55kg, a dwarf yes? maybe ill stick with 250cc.

    and yeah, i suppose i might get bored with the sound of it, and thats when i will put back the standard exhaust. but what you said is really make sense, specially if it is wayy too loud.

    so back to the performance stuff. what do you think i should do with the carburator setting?

  9. #8
    Biker
    Member #
    131
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    312

    RE: newbie need help on modification. thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by BERAK.LITS
    so back to the performance stuff. what do you think i should do with the carburator setting?
    Leave it alone.

    One of my mates has been a bike mechanic for 40 years. He reckons that about half of the work he has ever done has been correcting modifications that people have done to their bikes in search of more power.

    Yes, you can tune the Cibbies up a bit, but the performance gains are minimal and the potential for getting it wrong is huge.

    Eclipze and Hessian gave you excellent advice. Here is some more: Do some rider training. You want more? Buy a cheap dirtbike and improve your skills further on that. You will learn a lot about bike control which will immediately make you a better, safer rider on the road.

    160cm and 55kg is the perfect size for a 600. I know plenty of people smaller than you who ride litre bikes. Extremely well.

    Now. Put the spanners down, step away from those poor little carburettors and go for a ride. Preferably to get some new tyres fitted. I recommend Bridgestone BT45s. If your Arrowmaxes still have good wear in them, sell them. They sound like the perfect bargain for someone who does a lot of commuting.

    Oh, and welcome!

  10. #9
    Junior Biker
    Member #
    1878
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    19

    RE: newbie need help on modification. thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by Stavros
    Quote Originally Posted by BERAK.LITS
    so back to the performance stuff. what do you think i should do with the carburator setting?
    Leave it alone.

    One of my mates has been a bike mechanic for 40 years. He reckons that about half of the work he has ever done has been correcting modifications that people have done to their bikes in search of more power.

    Yes, you can tune the Cibbies up a bit, but the performance gains are minimal and the potential for getting it wrong is huge.

    Eclipze and Hessian gave you excellent advice. Here is some more: Do some rider training. You want more? Buy a cheap dirtbike and improve your skills further on that. You will learn a lot about bike control which will immediately make you a better, safer rider on the road.

    160cm and 55kg is the perfect size for a 600. I know plenty of people smaller than you who ride litre bikes. Extremely well.

    Now. Put the spanners down, step away from those poor little carburettors and go for a ride. Preferably to get some new tyres fitted. I recommend Bridgestone BT45s. If your Arrowmaxes still have good wear in them, sell them. They sound like the perfect bargain for someone who does a lot of commuting.

    Oh, and welcome!
    thanks mate, yeah, maybe its a good thing to leave it alone yeah?
    but to be honest i really dont think im gonna end up with 600cc bike, because i seat on one of my mates cbr600rr and i cant even touch the ground with 1 foot, and when i tried to touch it with both feet, there was like 5cm gaps between my feet and the ground. only if im 5cm taller. ill call my mom and dad and blame them. lol..

    oh yeah, you might think that i bought a cbr because im a learner or something like that, hahaha, sorry i forget to mention i have 4 years experience riding motorcycle, it was gsf250 bandit that i bought when i lived in singapore. so yeah, i really dont think i need to buy a dirt bike or anything like that, the only reason why i bought cbr is because i can stand properly on this bike, and its the most powerful 4stroke 250 out there (maybe??)

  11. #10
    Ace
    Member #
    102
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Melbs
    Posts
    13,792

    RE: newbie need help on modification. thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by BERAK.LITS
    because i seat on one of my mates cbr600rr and i cant even touch the ground with 1 foot, and when i tried to touch it with both feet, there was like 5cm gaps between my feet and the ground. only if im 5cm taller. ill call my mom and dad and blame them. lol..
    What year cbr600rr was it? I know the 2005 and 2006 models are quite tall, I'm 5'11" and can't flat foot my 06 comfortably. There are shorter 600's on the market...

    Justin.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Frame modification require cert in VIC?
    By ricjames in forum General Motorcycle Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 24th March 2013, 06:44 PM
  2. newbie help
    By david_177 in forum CBR250 Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 21st May 2012, 07:10 AM
  3. Newbie
    By Westy in forum CBR250 Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 26th January 2012, 05:40 AM
  4. Newbie looking for some help
    By Anti in forum CBR250 Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 7th November 2011, 12:40 AM
  5. 20 cent fork modification
    By Scrooge McRuff in forum General Technical
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 24th August 2011, 02:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •