Tyre wear
Close
Login to Your Account
CBR250 Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyre wear

Member #

Tyre wear

So this is my supercorsa after two sessions of use.

The compound is SC1, the hot pressure was 28 and I did use tyre warmers, although it wasn't for that long, I think I only put it on for 15 minutes for the first session because changing wheels was a pain, and the second session I probably only had it on for 20-30 minutes. Originally I thought it was hot tear but looking at it again I'm not so sure, plus as Cerb said, it wasn't hot enough to be able to overheat a tyre at my pace. Is it cold tear? Plus there's also cupping on the leading edge of the tread, which I've read is due to rebound, can't remember if it was because rebound was too fast/slow.

There's probably a whole bunch of things that can contribute to this sort of wearing, but I'm not sure what they are so looking for experienced minds to shed some light.

Member #

RE: Tyre wear

quickest diagnose its.. its an sc1. its too soft for the weather conditions.

pirelli recommends sc1 for smooth tracks on a very hot day!

buy yourself an sc1 rear for the winter and save whats left of the sc1 for the 40 deg days

i ran an sc1 rear on the r1 in feb on a 38 deg day and was holding up ok but really it wouldnt have lasted a day.

sc2's are a good all year tyre.

Member #

I thought it could be that, but Pirelli's tyre chart reckons the SC1 rear is good for most conditions. I'm not sure what constitutes 'cold' conditions or severe, the track temp had to have been around 20something degrees though right? The SC0 is for smooth on a very hot day, SC1 is for the biggest range of conditions and SC2 for cold track on medium-severe surface. I do have an SC2 which I can put on to see if it makes a difference, but that's just going to an even softer compound isn't it? SC0-soft, SC1-med, SC2-hard? The fronts are opposite with SC1-soft and SC2-med.

Source: http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/motorcycle/sheet/diablo_supercorsa_sc.html?url=%3Fsubtype%3Dtrack%2 6use%3D1

4. Remove Advertisements
    CBR250.com
    Advertisements

Member #

I'm probably not experienced enough to offer good advice but I do know that those tyre warmer times are not enough. Going by that, and the conditions/your pace, maybe cold tear?

28 psi I have found to be be pretty good so pressure seems ok. Are you checking as soon as you come in off the track?

I've got an old SC2 rear with some weird wear going on, might throw up a pic later as well.
    [hr]
    And also, what gauge you using? Does it have a range of about 10-60 psi?

Member #

The times are quick enough to be getting the tyre past cold tear temps, There were a few guys in my group with the same tyres going slower but showing no signs of tearing, there was also a guy in white group using them without warmers and getting no tear. The guy who was slightly faster was using superbike slicks and no tear there either.

So slower and faster guys are using the same tyres with no issues. It has to be either riding style or setup.

Using the old school analogue gauge, I think it's 10-60, can't remember, but it's not a cheapy.
    [hr]
    I might add, I thought cold tear occurred when the surface of the tyre was hot but the underlying rubber and carcass were not, which causes the hot rubber to literally tear off. Having them on warmer for 15 minutes isn't long enough for sure, but I took it pretty easy for the first lap still, and when I came off after the first session, there wasn't really any tearing. After the second session when I went quicker, there were definite signs of tearing, but warmers were used for around 30 minutes that time so carcass and everything were up to temp.

Member #

Yeah fair enough. I'll leave it to those with more knowledge than me then. Only suggested temps/pressures as a starting point because it seems all my tyre probs so far have been in that area.

I'm still so noob with this shit that I just throw my hands up, rattle off the old line "it's a black art", and just ride the bloody thing without ever touching an adjuster.

Member #

^ hahah yeah I'm like that too, but with tear that bad, it's going to kill my tyres pretty quick! Good thing I've got a few extras, but would rather try and figure out what's causing it so I can rectify it. That wear certainly isn't normal and I can't imagine it's doing wonder for my tyre life.

Member #

Nah that looks shit and you are right, it shouldn't be that bad. Def something to get on top of unless you have money to burn.

I was having what looked like the same wear in an SC1 front. Changed pressure with the next tyre and was all good.

Member #

the problem is that this could be caused by a number of reasons.

i would still say that sc1 was too soft for the other day.. the track temp would be barely 20 degrees i reckon. thats the reason for the tearing.

it looks almost identical to my rear when it was ripping up.

the SC1 is only recommended by pirelli reps for 40 deg plus days really.
    i had lengthy chats with the pirelli tech reps about this at the start of the year and as a result i (and most ppl i know) run SC1 front and SC2 rear all year round.

SC2 is harder than sc1 in both front and rear.

Member #

Anything else Cerb? Anyone else? Is the SC1 a soft or medium or hard compound? Cerb, your post seemed to contradict a little bit. You said it's too soft for the weather conditions, but that particular compound is supposed to be used on hot tracks? I thought: hot track = hard compound, cold track = soft compound?
    [hr]
    Woops, didn't see your above comment until after I posted mine.
    [hr]
    If SC1 was too soft for the cold track, wouldn't that mean it's going to be even worse for a hot track though? I figure a soft compound is going to overheat even easier on a hot track, or am I missing something?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast