Login to Your Account
CBR250 Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A good V-Twin?

Junior Biker
    Member #

A good V-Twin?

Hi guys,

A work colleague asked me about V-twin bikes recently, more specifically the Aprilia RSV Mille. He's contemplating a 1999 model.

As I am not familiar with Aprilia bikes, was wondering if any of you have ridden or owned one could give some insight into them? ~ I always thought Ducati's were the way to go for V-twins.

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Member #

RE: A good V-Twin?

asking what V twin is no use

questions such as use , budget are much more relevant

i am sure that there would be an aprilia forum that you could gleam bucketloads of useful info rather than something like oh yeh my mate had one and it was shit

the one thing i do know about aprilias is their value drops like a lead ballon very quickly but being 11 years old then thats a bit irrelavent

buying an old bike usual rules apply, condition and service history and pay accordingly

Junior Biker
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie5
    asking what V twin is no use

questions such as use , budget are much more relevant

i am sure that there would be an aprilia forum that you could gleam bucketloads of useful info rather than something like oh yeh my mate had one and it was shit

the one thing i do know about aprilias is their value drops like a lead ballon very quickly but being 11 years old then thats a bit irrelavent

buying an old bike usual rules apply, condition and service history and pay accordingly
    Hi Johnnie5,

Thank you for your feedback.
    I was more curious as to what people here have experienced in regard to Aprilia's. Like does the engine need more attention than most bikes or do they tend to overheat more often than most bikes....etc

Well the RSV my work mate has in mind is selling for $7k I think is what he told me. Got about 40k's on the clock. He will be using it daily to commute to work.

I guess with that in mind, are they a good commute and is it worth $7k or could he do better with another bike altogether?

Thanks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CBR250.com
    Advertisements

Member #

well for $7K they are a lot of bike for the money

commuter , wouldnt be my first choice or 2nd, 3rd,4th etc

nOOb
    Member #

Inline,

I ride a 2006 aprilia tuono and I must say the thing is bullet proof. handles great, not to bad re servicing etc compared to a jap bike, thirsty compared to the 4's but it doesnt sound like a sewing machine.

A really good website to get information is http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/index.php

I would recommend looking into the service history etc and who did the servicing, there are a few well renowned mechanics with aprilias and there are the rest, if you find out let me know and will advise accordingly

Would i own another one hell yes.

Ace
    Member #

I also have a Tuono, essentially a naked Mille, and love it. It's a fantastic engine and the quality of the components is top notch.

However, there are things that have to be checked to ensure you get a good 'un and maintain it. For example, the charging system isn't great and must be improved. Start the bike on low battery enough times and you run the risk of mega expensive problems with the starter clutch.

The clutch slave cylinder seal deteriorates over time and leaks. The rear brake is usually pretty useless - it needs to be bled in a particular way to improve it. The rear shock linkages don't have much grease in them out of the factory and could do with regreasing.

I assure you, you research any bike enough and you'll find lists of issues people have with them. So I don't want to put your mate off Aprilias - just be aware of the issues so you can find a bike with these sorted or budget to sort them.

Also, as your mate will be commuting, I'd recommend the Falco. It's the best mix of sports/distance in the Aprilia range. The Tuono is great too, but the tank range can suck if you ride with vigor. I've had the fuel light come on after only 70 miles or so. It was a very fast/entertaining 70 miles mind.

Biker
    Member #

Aprilia parts supply is a bit of an issue in Australia . I've heard a lot of stories of people waiting for up to a year for relatively minor parts. He'd be better off with a Honda VTR1000.

Member #

Is he set on an Aprilia? As mentioned above, the VTR1000 is a very solid bike. But I think it was 2001 or 2002 that Honda gave it a bigger fuel tank (it was something stupid like 15L in early models, which gave it a range of about 27 kilometres) so make sure you're looking at 2001+

Or if he wants something totally badass...there's the TL1000S. TLR models are cool but you pay more. If he wants to look at a TLS, either make sure the original shock unit has been changed out for an ohlins/etc...or allow in the budget to replace the shock. The stockies are shit.

edit: in regards to the VTR1000...that's the VTR1000F (firestorm). VTR1000 SP1 and SP2 will need plenty more $$$ thrown at it.

Member #

VTR1000 firestorm FTMFW! parts a plenty, strong engine, solid chassis, great sound, good sport/tourer and just all round ripper of a bike.

they're are as popular as they are because they're rubbish.

Ace
    Member #

May aswell recommend a Virago 250 then

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast