Login to Your Account
CBR250 Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KTM LC4 640 is crap

Junior Biker
    Member #

KTM LC4 640 is crap

Hi all,

New guy here. Been into sports bike for a while now and thought it would be nice to try something else

Well I took 1 for a test ride yesterday. Seriously disappointed. Been reading all these reviews about how fun it is. How quick the bike is and the front end can lift up in 3rd gear. The only thing that was true was the vibration. F me that bike vibrated. 5 mins and my hands were numb. Anyways it was piss weak. Seriously felt like an old 250cc. Never got the front to lift in 1st or 2nd. Don't know how people can say this bike can beat 1000s in the twisty.

This was at a dealer and it was. 2003 model. Could there be a chance the bike is not running right. Surely a 640 super motard should be quicker than that. Surely the front end should lift in 1st and 2nd gear without any issues.

I was hoping for a fun bike to commute on and thought the KTM was the bike. Thinking of checking out the DRZ400sm seeing as though these motards are weak no matter what cc. I like the motards cos of the reviews and how small they are. Maybe I should just look into z1000 or z750

Member #

RE: KTM LC4 640 is crap

Quote Originally Posted by sydex
    Hi all,

New guy here. Been into sports bike for a while now and thought it would be nice to try something else

Well I took 1 for a test ride yesterday. Seriously disappointed. Been reading all these reviews about how fun it is. How quick the bike is and the front end can lift up in 3rd gear. The only thing that was true was the vibration. F me that bike vibrated. 5 mins and my hands were numb. Anyways it was piss weak. Seriously felt like an old 250cc. Never got the front to lift in 1st or 2nd. Don't know how people can say this bike can beat 1000s in the twisty.

This was at a dealer and it was. 2003 model. Could there be a chance the bike is not running right. Surely a 640 super motard should be quicker than that. Surely the front end should lift in 1st and 2nd gear without any issues.

I was hoping for a fun bike to commute on and thought the KTM was the bike. Thinking of checking out the DRZ400sm seeing as though these motards are weak no matter what cc. I like the motards cos of the reviews and how small they are. Maybe I should just look into z1000 or z750
    theres your first mistake. forget reviews.

as for the power.. you cant expect a single cylinder bike to have the same rush of a sportsbike. if just doesnt happen.
    that said.. that bike could very well beat a 1k bike in the twisties with a decent rider on it. they are light and easier to muscle around and easier to tap into the useable power of the engine. you're not going to be using the full power of a 1k bike in most twisties. but again, thats all relative to the riders skill. i know a few guys that would school most guys on 1k bike while they're riding 400cc motards

as for lifting in 3rd.... mags often exaggerate however i am sure with the appropriate use of the clutch it can be done. my 450 ktm lifts 3rd gear easy off a slight clutch slip.

def sounds like a naked bike is more what you're after. dont think that just because you buy a motard you're suddenly going to be wheelieing everywhere and backing it into every corner.

Member #

Take another one for a ride I reckon, doesn't sound right to me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CBR250.com
    Advertisements

Junior Biker
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus
    Hi all,

theres your first mistake. forget reviews.

as for the power.. you cant expect a single cylinder bike to have the same rush of a sportsbike. if just doesnt happen.
    that said.. that bike could very well beat a 1k bike in the twisties with a decent rider on it. they are light and easier to muscle around and easier to tap into the useable power of the engine. you're not going to be using the full power of a 1k bike in most twisties. but again, thats all relative to the riders skill. i know a few guys that would school most guys on 1k bike while they're riding 400cc motards

as for lifting in 3rd.... mags often exaggerate however i am sure with the appropriate use of the clutch it can be done. my 450 ktm lifts 3rd gear easy off a slight clutch slip.

def sounds like a naked bike is more what you're after. dont think that just because you buy a motard you're suddenly going to be wheelieing everywhere and backing it into every corner.

Yeah I don't expect the 640 KTM to have the same power/top speed of a sports bike... But I expect it to be a torque monster... this is based on peoples comments on forums... from what I've read, these machines have heaps of torque that would life the front end without a problem... only down side is that it runs out of breathe quickly which is fair enough... but this KTM had no torque... seriously felt like a 250cc... really boring to ride...

that's the only thing, I don't play attention to mag reviews. I base my research on forums etc... and all of them say that the KTM super motards are mad fun due to the massive torque... people doing wheelies without the clutch.. not that I would be hooning all the time but would like to lift the front without using the clutch....

well i haven't dismissed the naked bikes yet... just trying to keep my options opened... commuting is boring so I'm hoping to find a bike that would make it more enjoyable[hr]
    Quote Originally Posted by Merudo
    Take another one for a ride I reckon, doesn't sound right to me.
    yeah that's what I was thinking... i will take another KTM plus also ride the husky sm 610 as well... Possibly the DRZ400SM...

Member #

i dont know what to tell you.. look at the dyno power/torque curves. 1k bike will smash any torque figures that a motard will put out. simple matter of cc's.
    i am always lost at the terms "torque monsters" when applied to a motard. they're not, based on simple engine numbers.
    What happens is that they are often geared shorter as top speed is not that important on a motard, thats all. its possible that the bike you rode has had taller gearing installed for hwy use.

that said i am yet to ride a motard to lives up to all the bs "torque/wheelie" monster claims that everyone throws around. sure, gear it short enough and you can turn it into a wheelie machine at the loss of top end

Member #

Hi all,

Yes, yes you should.

Senior Biker
    Member #

even most modern 1000s not all have enough power to lift the front wheel in 3rd gear with just a snap of the throttle. hell my 996 puts out 120hp at the rear ( i know bugger all by current standards) and it will lift the front in first and second without doing anything but going full throttle but not in 3rd, hell by 3rd gear you're going about 150km/h anyway...

probably the most wheelie happy machine i've ridden was the new ZX10R. that thing is mental. I think some of the lower power modes include some kind of anti-wheelie TSC but when you switch it to the full beans map with no TC etc it easily brings up the front if you're not careful.

Junior Biker
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Baron
    even most modern 1000s not all have enough power to lift the front wheel in 3rd gear with just a snap of the throttle. hell my 996 puts out 120hp at the rear ( i know bugger all by current standards) and it will lift the front in first and second without doing anything but going full throttle but not in 3rd, hell by 3rd gear you're going about 150km/h anyway...

probably the most wheelie happy machine i've ridden was the new ZX10R. that thing is mental. I think some of the lower power modes include some kind of anti-wheelie TSC but when you switch it to the full beans map with no TC etc it easily brings up the front if you're not careful.
    yeah I was a lil surprised to read it can do wheelies in 3rd gear... but in first and 2nd shouldn't be a problem..

could be the gearing or possible needs a tune...

personally just after something fun, heaps of torque and light to commute.

Member #

I've got the (slightly) updated model (2006) and I don't think mine feels like a 250cc.
    I've ridden a couple of sport 1000's and 600's and it is not in the same league, but it still pulls pretty hard.
    Vibes aplenty, you've got that right!
    The 640sm should beat a DRZ400, but they are generally more expensive (for a clean one).
    Sounds like it might not have been running right.
    Or you've been riding more powerful bikes and were underwhelmed (while forgoting how 'slow' a 250 actually is)?

If you wanna ride something slow (but fun), get a postie bike!

edit: I just remembered that my 640 has something attatched to the carbie to stop full throttle in first gear. I'm guessing the one you rode had that too.
    Gotta love the conservative nanna-state world in which we live

\"Why is it always gixxer riders??????\" - Lane

Member #

Hi Corkers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast