Close
Login to Your Account
CBR250 Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Mazda MX6 – Intermittent Starting Issues

Senior Biker
    Member #

Mazda MX6 – Intermittent Starting Issues

My cousins 1993 MX6 with 200k km decided not to start after arriving at my house yesterday. Pushed started it after the engine wouldn’t turn over at the servo & got it back to my house for a quick inspection.

Inspection results showed that the starter motor was doing nothing when the key was turned. Found a relay in the engine bay relay junction that was clicking with the key turned to starter but that also seemed to turn on the fuel pump (heard gurgling in the fuel rail). Doubt it was the starter relay either as it was only about the size of 1 cubic inch. Couldnt find a dedicated starting relay in the engine bay nor any mention of it in the relay/fuse diagram.

I fiddled around with some relays & also found the starter motor & what I assume is the starter solenoid (a small cylinder sitting on top of the starter motor & wired into it). I checked for loose connections & wiggle what I assume is the starter control wire connection to the solenoid. After doing all that the car started up no problem. Repeatedly started it then to be sure & sprayed any electrical connections I could see with WD40 to clean them. Assumed it was a bad electrical connection & sent her on her way. Then got a phone call later saying the car wouldn’t start again – FCUK.

Am assuming it is the starter solenoid either being fubarred or not getting power as I couldn’t hear it click when the key was turned & the starter wasn’t turning. Will check the ignition barrel to see if there’s any issues there. Before that I’ll take a nick of insulation out of the control wire to the solenoid so I can test if its getting 12V – this should also give me an indication of whether the solenoid is stuffed or not. Starter motor seems strong & sounds good when it is turning the engine over. Battery is good also & connections good too.

Anyone got any better ideas?!!

Stater motor & solenoid (I assume – can anybody clarify this?)

Relay/Fuse box Diagram – cant see any indication of a starer relay here.
    [img](Will upload pic later – stupid work internet restrictions) [/img]

Member #

RE: Mazda MX6 – Intermittent Starting Issues

My missus's Commodore had the same problem, the starter solenoid is fubarred.

Yes the solenoid is the cylinder on top in your picture.

Replace the started with one from the wreckers, and she will be all good.

Member #

If the starter solenoid is intermittent you can usually tap it lightly with a hammer and it will trigger it to start, to ascertain if it's the culprit or not, pretty common.

Senior Biker
    Member #

Hah Lane – bang on with the advice but too late!

Checked out the car again after work about 6pm & it was still dead. Fiddled with the relays & wires/connector blocks – nuttin. Got a hammer & chisel & hit the starter solenoid a few raps – Broomm Broooom. Bang on mate!

Now to get a new starter solenoid. Anyone know where to get them online? I think the Ford Probe is pretty must identical on the engine/gearbox & chassis side so that’s a help. Otherwise I’ll start phoning dealers & suppliers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane
    If the starter solenoid is intermittent you can usually tap it lightly with a hammer and it will trigger it to start, to ascertain if it's the culprit or not, pretty common.