Login to Your Account
CBR250 Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: So this is where I belong!

Junior Biker
    Member #

So this is where I belong!

I put my intro up but added ?'s on my race bike that I want to get 50bhp out of. Those ?'s should have gone here, so the entire season long thread will stay here with pictures!

I've no real idea what I have and scoured Mr. Scrooge's thread and the FAQ database for questions on pistons, head gaskets etc. I've gathered a lot of information on the web as well, but now I need more guidance.

Will engine numbers give me the year of origin and therefore tell me if I have a 17 or a 19 version? If so, is there a link/site I can go to in order to check those engine numbers? I gather there are ways of recognizing heads from Mr. Scooge's page so I'll look at those carefully when the heads come off.

I have 2 engines to build - the 3rd is currently in the race bike but tired. One needs pistons - NOS or OEM? I'm not an engine builder, so I'll post lots of pictures and that will help others doing the same thing. Every nut and bolt will come apart - that is a definite.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by davemosstuning; 28th March 2014 at 12:42 PM.
    dtrang likes this.

Junior Biker
    Member #
    So this is where I belong!-250t3_2.jpg

Junior Biker
    Member #
    So this is where I belong!-2014-opener.jpg

4. Remove Advertisements
    CBR250.com
    Advertisements

Junior Biker
    Member #
    The goal is the win the AFM 250 Superbike Championship here in California USA. It started off well with a 14th place on the starting grid and 1st place finish but there are 5 more races yet and all the competition appears in those next 5 races. As mentioned I know nothing about this gem of a bike, but I'm willing to dive into it and do what needs to be done. At 200lbs representing a healthy investment in myself, I'm giving up 60lbs on average. I'm not going to diet to become a twig, but I will become a better rider through hard work.

FYI: the white bike is a VFR428 built by GForce in Milpitas California and I've won the 450 Championship on that bike for the last 3 years. Going for a 4th.

Engine numbers:
    Current engine installed: MC14E- 1151972
    Spare engine #1: MC14E-1155035
    Spare engine # 2: MC14E-1157851

Junior Biker
    Member #
    Bloody typical - you spend all day reading, searching and then post for help. Two pints of lager and a packet of crisps later and...........

Looks like we have MC19 frame engines given the engine case numbers of 1140000 on up so 1990-1993. In 1994 engine case numbers changed to MC14E-1400001

It appears that the common trick is to install the MC22 head on the MC19 crankcase with MC22 pistons re-using the MC19 cams in the MC22 head gives an 11:1 compression ratio (up from 10.6:1) and potentially more power. Anything better been done??

So, the only way to truly see what I have is to measure the intake ports on all the engines. MC19 is 32mm and MC22 is 30.5mm if I recall correctly. Logic (or optimism) would state that the MC22 head must have the MC22pistons in the MC19 engine. If so, then I need to validate the MC19 cams by duration and lift:

• Inlet Valve (1mm Lift);
    • Opens (Before Top Dead Centre);
    • CBR250(F) : 10˚ BTDC
    • CBR250R(H) : 18˚ BTDC
    • CBR250R(J+K) + CBR250RR(L+N) : 19˚ BTDC
    • CBR250RR(R) : 20˚ BTDC
    • Closes (After Bottom Dead Centre);
    • CBR250(F) : 40˚ ABDC
    • CBR250R(H) : 34˚ ABDC
    • CBR250R(J+K) + CBR250RR(L+N) : 33˚ ABDC
    • CBR250RR(R) : 20˚ ABDC

• Exhaust Valve (1mm Lift);
    • Opens (Before Bottom Dead Centre);
    • CBR250(F) : 30˚ BBDC
    • CBR250R(H+J+K) + CBR250RR(L+N) : 36˚ BBDC
    • CBR250RR(R) : 29˚ BBDC
    • Closes (After Top Dead Centre);
    • CBR250(F) : 10˚ ATDC
    • CBR250R(H+J+K) + CBR250RR(L+N) : 11˚ ATDC
    • CBR250RR(R) : 3˚ ATDC

Data points from:
    mootavic.olilolo.com/stuff/Maintaince%20Guide.doc

Any thoughts, direction or comments are very welcome.

Cheers,

Member #
    Dave Moss, am a massive fan. Wish I wasn't working when you came down to present in Adelaide a few months ago! I can't help you but there are many here that can. Look forward to hearing of your progress on the bike!

I'm assuming this is the man himself right? Can't be sure peering under the cowboy hat there haha
    Last edited by atrang; 27th March 2014 at 02:24 AM.
    The value of life can be measured by how many times your soul has been deeply stirred - Soichiro Honda

Junior Biker
    Member #
    Yes, its me.....

I'm going to the GForce race shop tomorrow to do several things - the primary one is to measure intake ports on the race bike and spare engine to see what I have. Evan at SA motorcycles in Adelaide can get me the used parts that I need (MC22: carbs, complete head, used pistons) so he and I are working on that. If all 3 engines that I have are MC19's they should have the cams I need - bonus! I've sourced an OEM head gasket (apparently akin to the value of gold these days) and will have a local company replicate it so there is a quality head gasket I can sell on.

I'll do a breakdown of the bike soon as I need the information from the original owner and of course, post lots of pictures!

Race report from round 1 is here: 2014 Race reports & blog | Feel The Track

Member #
    Haha awesome, feel like royalty has come upon us. Will definitely follow your progress and glad you have a source to help with parts down under!
    The value of life can be measured by how many times your soul has been deeply stirred - Soichiro Honda

Member #
    Who is this dude to make him almost royalty? Sorry for being so ignorant
    aj26 - Dealers are dodgey anyways just shoot him in the leg first before asking anymore questions

Junior Biker
    Member #
    I'm at the race shop and I got the full reach around with a hot towel and happy ending! All the engines are MC22's - awesome indeed. Now I need to pull the valve covers and check the cams. Talk about happy Friday........

Any way to clearly recognize the 19 versus 22 cams by stampings, markings etc?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So this is where I belong!-22-spare.jpg   So this is where I belong!-race-22.jpg   So this is where I belong!-race-shop.jpg  

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

11632 kbh 900

13111-kt7-750
13213 kaz 003
bike radiator pressure tester
cbr250 mc22 top dead centre
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.