CBR250 Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: CRM250AR the Honda oddball

Biker
    Member #
    Whilst I was waiting for bits to come in:
    My second child was born, now that means even less time to tinker and ride
    A set of Sun branded XR400 motard rims were bought at a cheap price from a guy that decided to part out his bike.

I've been playing around with what can restore colour to faded plastics:

I learnt that Honda did a swifty with the headstem bearings so you have to be on your toes when ordering the generic part.
    When the parts arrived, a local workshop was kind enough to let me use the press so the linkage and headstem bearings are back on, the path to reassembly has begun.

Biker
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by KICKER View Post
    Oh boy, can you do me a massive favour? I bought a 99' CRM which apparently had a swing arm replaced. Now, the previous owner also mentioned the linkage bearings need replacing and rightfully so because they were utterly destroyed. So I get home and I'm trying to just put it back together so I can keep it as one piece til I have enough time to work on it and no matter which way I try and installed the linkage and shock, it won't line up with the swing arm. I noticed that there was a "Pro-Link" sticker on the swing arm which I had also seen on my mate's '84 CR500. A little research showed me that the first model of the CRM had that and the swing arm/suspension was different. think the previous owner bought the wrong swing arm but I need someone to take some measurements for me. Would you be able to get these two measurements for me? http://i.imgur.com/5FAiPHY.jpg I would be greatly appreciative if you can. No need for dead accuracy, just to prove or disprove my theory. If it wasn't for this my AR would be registered and riding by now!
    Rough measurements by eye and using tape measure...

Swingarm pivot to suspension link is 190mm

Protrusion of suspension link is 20mm

Biker
    Member #
    I got a chance to work on the bike a fair bit and bearings were pressed in or fitted

Fitting the lower steering race was interesting.

motard wheels test fitted.

I have three front brake calipers and all of them have different problems so none of them are optimal. I need to rebuild one set. The clearance between the caliper and the rim means it is an outright pain trying to take them on and off, I’ll have to have a motard set up and a dirt set up.
    Last edited by mekros; 28th August 2014 at 02:39 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CBR250.com
    Advertisements

Biker
    Member #
    ok, progress has seriously slowed down with an increase in responsibility at work and two children really do suck up all free time.
    I've managed to source some electrical connectors, snap the head off the rear brake bleed nipple after flushing the fluid (drained it by undoing the brake line banjo bolt initially), and some other trouble with the front brake.
    ](*,) The fun of restoration.

Biker
    Member #
    8 months of progress and no posting....shame on me.

I managed to slowly chip away at things, replaced the the brake caliper with the snapped bleed nipple, threw away my good speedo cable (that was a moment in stupidity), crimp new connectors onto the electrical plugs that were stuffed and assemble it into what resembled a working bike.

A CR250 was sourced (the last of the steel framed beasts) and I'm comparing them side by side to see what of the CR I can use on the CRM for cheaper parts.

A few more months in between.

Fresh fuel into the tank and into reserve mode.....she smokes! All the indicators are on??? None of them flash? More head shaking and laughing at the irony and delay to registration.

I then have to move (again), this time to the foot of some local mountains where I'll get to enjoy some twisty riding and the bike is now waiting for a mate to bring around a power supply so I can do some electrical fault finding.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123