Close
Login to Your Account
CBR250 Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: World War Three

Junior Biker
    Member #
    Oh yep and an update on the engine disassembly. I still haven't got round to pulling the entire head off yet, but hopefully this should happen on Monday. I'll upload a few pics of what your engines shouldn't look like ahah

Junior Biker
    Member #
    Turns out i don't have a socket that will fit, does anyone know what sort of socket and where to get it, that is needed to remove the bolts from under the cam shafts? they are 8mm or so in size but do not have hexagonal heads. I don't have a decent picture (idiot) but ill try and get one of the bolts I'm talking about soon!

Junior Biker
    Member #
    So I've given up on the engine rebuild because i can't seem to find a socket that will fit those bolts (to be honest i didn't try all that hard)
    I've just purchased myself an mc22 engine from a '96 bike that is running, I'm gonna chuck my mc19 carbs on it with some boot adapters and hopefully I'll be back on the road in just over a week! May even swap over my mc19 cams for a more aggressive profile! haha POWER
    Will be a good 18th birthday present to myself
    God-Speed likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CBR250.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Hey sharkbait how did you go with the transplant? I'm in the same predicament but hopefully just got to whack in a piston and some valves. How much and where did you get your engine from. Really struggling to find an engine that's not $1100 at Gold Coast.

Cheers.

Member #
    BTW with the socket, you can use an 8mm double hex socket. Should be like $2 - $10 from super-cheap.

Junior Biker
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Atama View Post
    BTW with the socket, you can use an 8mm double hex socket. Should be like $2 - $10 from super-cheap.
    Cheers Atama, might go get myself one of these just so I can have a look at what sort of shit went down in my old engine. As mine was an mc19 engine, buying new pistons wasn't an option as they are no longer made, so it would've required a new head as well, so I decided to down the mc22 engine route.

In regards to the transplant;
    I got the engine yesterday and have been doing some work on it today, to transplant I have needed to change some of the plugs for the loom, and swap the pulse generators over (pics to follow - I'm on my phone right now and posting pictures is difficult) as they are different, but I haven't been able to do that as yet because I can't get the stupid bolt undone... So if anyone has an easy way to do this, hit me up!

Yeah I was quoted prices like that too, when I was searching for an engine, not sure what model you have, but I got my mc22 engine for $500 Inc freight from Sydney to Adelaide (off eBay), not including carbies. I'm going to put my mc19 carbs onto the engine with a few modifications to the boots, ie lots of high temp silicon haha because I didn't want to pay an extra $200.

Member #
    Haha cheers man I'll keep an eye out on ebay. $500 is cheap for a running engine, people are trying to sell me parts engines for $500!

Junior Biker
    Member #
    Alright, I've hit a massive stumbling block....

I cannot get the bolt on either engine holding the pulse generator off. This little bastard in the middle right here...
    World War Three-img_20150819_111511.jpgWorld War Three-img_20150819_133848.jpg

I need to remove this as the wheel are slightly different on the mc22 and the mc19 (left is the mc19, right is the mc22), so they need to be swapped over. I have tried a wrench on the bolt and holding the drive sprocket with another wrench to stop it moving, and an impact driver while holding the drive sprocket and it will not move! I have spent about 3 hours now trying to remove this stupid bolt. Does anyone have any suggestions? And is this a standard thread? ie lefty loosie, righty tighty, or is it a left hand thread? Otherwise I'm going to bring out the angle grinder, at least on the old engine so i can get the stupid wheel off...

The other slightly smaller problem is that the cooling systems are slightly different,
    World War Three-img_20150819_133953.jpgWorld War Three-img_20150819_134000.jpg
    the pic on the left is the mc22 engine and the one on the right is the mc19 engine. Is the little extra bit needed on the mc22 engine? or could i remove that and connect the hoses up in the same way that the mc19 has its connected? ie two hoses from either side of the engine connected directly to the radiator cap, instead of going through the extra part on the 22 and then only having a single hose to the radiator cap.

Member #
    I haven’t read through the whole thread here so maybe you have explained it better but I think you are trying to fit an mc22 engine into an mc19 frame and swapping the pulse rotors over? I assume you will be putting the mc19 rotor cover on the mc22 engine so that you keep the 2 VR sensors? You will need to be very careful that the rotor is aligned in exactly the same way referenced to #1TDC when installed on the mc22 engine as when installed in the mc19 engine. If this isn’t bang on then your ignition timing is out and you have no way of adjusting it.

Member #
    Here's some images from the manual that may help. It looks like the bolt your trying to do is a normal thread. I would get your mate to hold a breaker bar on the fly wheel bolt on the other side and rattle gun/breaker bar the pulse generator bolt off. It's torqued to about 80nm with loctite so may be difficult.

Good luck!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast