Login to Your Account
CBR250 Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: World War Three

Junior Biker
    Member #

World War Three

Bought an mc19 and literally bought registration yesterday (and i mean yesterday), only to have the engine on my bike explode the second time I rode it, without even a good story. Just accelerating away at some lights, hit 8k rpm and bam OSKLDJFBOASIDNFSKDGSHVHCBISO, world war three between my legs. I haven't yet stripped the engine down but i think that the piston in the second cylinder absolutely shat itself (causing me to shit myself along with it) destroying other vital parts along with it like valves etc... yay
    I'll be pulling the engine out tomorrow and stripping it down to see what sort of devastation has occurred inside. So stay tuned for my rivers of tears and some pretty pictures of the devastation within...

I figure i have four options, i can either;

1. rebuild the engine - as its an mc19 engine though, and mc19 pistons are no longer made so this would require me getting a set of mc22 pistons, an mc22 head and mc22 carbs, along with all the other rebuild stuff such as valve springs (not sure what they're actually called) and piston rings etc. I'd be doing the entire rebuild myself as I'm a little cash strapped at the moment :/

2. the new secondhand engine - trying to get a complete mc19 engine and then using the best parts from each engine, or buying an mc22 engine and putting that in, however i believe the engine mounts are slightly different for each engine due to the different frames of the mc22 and the mc19?

3. the radical - swapping the mc19 engine for something completely different. From my cursory google searches apparently the 600rr engine is the most commonly swapped engine, however if anyone has any details or knows anyone that has done and engine swap i'd love it if you put me onto them! but no pretend single cylinder 250 engines :')

4. the dreaded - sell / part out the bike - i don't really want to do this as even with my limited riding time on it, i love the bike. But if this is going to be the most cost effective, i guess that's what ill do

p.s if anyone lives in Adelaide and want to lend a hand ill pay you in love and beers :')

Thanks guys and gals!

Biker
    Member #
    Mc17e is the base of the engine. An "mc22 engine" should bolt right up. The issue with transplanting is the head/carbs AFAIK. Might pop over to 2fiftycc and ask kifsta though.

Junior Biker
    Member #
    The rivers of tears have begun:
    World War Three-img_20150730_090007.jpgWorld War Three-img_20150730_104818.jpgWorld War Three-img_20150730_104827.jpgWorld War Three-img_20150730_105457.jpg
    Ignore my professional work station and super clean engine :')
    I haven't quite managed to pull the head off but so far it does not look good... My 8mm socket is slightly too wide to fit through some gaps i to get to bolts that need to be removed before the head can, so ill be getting another one of those to use tomorrow along with a less mangled 10mm one so i stop rounding off bolts....
    I've managed to find a head and set of mc22 carbies for $400 from a wrecker, and a set of pistons and rings off alibaba for $110 (should i trust alibaba pistons?!? :S) so i think I'm going to go with the rebuild, but where would i be able to find a valve kit? ie all 16 valves with springs and shims etc for a reasonable price because i don't trust the ones in here at the moment

4. Remove Advertisements
    CBR250.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    It'll be cheaper to sell it for parts and buy again. Swap the fairings and tank over if you like the colour. I just sold an MC19 with complete wngine to wogsta not three weeks ago. If he's not rebuilding the whole thing he may part it out.

Junior Biker
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Aduro View Post
    It'll be cheaper to sell it for parts and buy again. Swap the fairings and tank over if you like the colour. I just sold an MC19 with complete wngine to wogsta not three weeks ago. If he's not rebuilding the whole thing he may part it out.
    If i were to part it out, how much do you reckon i'd get for it? I'm not a huge fan of the colour scheme it has at the moment, so id sell the tank and fairings, although some of those are cracked...

Member #
    I wouldn't plan anything until you have seen inside the engine.

Member #
    buy second hand donk out of an mc19 and throw it in. then if it is no good, rebuild that engine and use parts from your busted engine if required. simpelest solution i guess
    Quote Originally Posted by schultzy View Post
    I stuck a battery up my arse.
    Yeah, that's a cool story...

Member #
    Out of interest, can you describe in more detail what happened? What did it sound like? Was it seized from then on?

It's hard to tell from the photos but is that pitting on the intakes (which have way too much carbon on them anyway!) or is it piston aluminium?

I would've taken the spark plugs out too for a little better clue to any potential signs.

Biker
    Member #
    Looking at PIC #`, I recon you will find these

I have a complete MC19 go-er I'd part with if your interested ?

Tiny
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails World War Three-pot.jpg   World War Three-gifts-god-speed-2015-005.jpg   World War Three-valves.jpg  

Junior Biker
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Out of interest, can you describe in more detail what happened? What did it sound like? Was it seized from then on?

It's hard to tell from the photos but is that pitting on the intakes (which have way too much carbon on them anyway!) or is it piston aluminium?

I would've taken the spark plugs out too for a little better clue to any potential signs.
    I did take the second cylinder spark plug out, I forgot to take a pic but it was pretty mangled. When I was riding the bike suddenly lost power, and only above 8k rpm would make a terrible crunching sound, I probably road another 500m before I decideded something was seriously wrong and pulled over and turned the bike off. When I tried to start it again I then realised the engine had seized. I apologise for the poor quality pics, but yes that is piston aluminium not pitting.
    You've also pointed out the intakes have way too much carbon on them, is this a sign of running too rich?

Also just on a side note, the engine was whining more than usual. It was like that gear driven cam sound, just a lot louder than usual.
    Quote Originally Posted by generator View Post
    Looking at PIC #`, I recon you will find these

I have a complete MC19 go-er I'd part with if your interested ?

Tiny
    I'd be interested, but unfortunately I'm fairly broke at the moment, so I think that'd be a no go... Sorry

Quoting stuff on my phone is hard, but in response to you slipry (bit of a forum noob, sorry) I really want an mc22 engine or as least head and pistons, just in case something like this happens again I can get parts much more easily.

Being the cheap skate I am, I've found 'carbie adaptors' that basically allow me to use my mc19 carbs on an mc22 engine. Can anyone see any obvious problems with doing this?
    This is the part
    4pcs Carburetor Interface Adapter FOR Honda CBR250RR MC22 MC19 CB400 CB400SF | eBay

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast