Login to Your Account
CBR250 Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Life at 20,000rpm. AU restore.

Junior Biker
    Member #
    So close, well, she's running, and stopping

Had to put the brake lines back on, which was a bit more of a drama than I thought, spent most of saturday on the brakes and still didn't get a result.

I was going to rebuild the front master cylinder too, to first step was to take the lever off.

and lucky I did, it was pretty filthy.

Bit of a scrub, a bit of a soak in some cleaner and she'll be good as new.

The rebuild kit is pretty simple, the screw type piston, a spring, 3 seals and circlip.

Finally got the lines bolted up, and began filling the system.
    Strangely, fluid didn't really want to go through, no matter what I tried, it was barely going through my bleed hose, and all I got a was a few spurts and most of it was going back and forth, without making much progress, or even filling the pistons.
    Oh well, back to youtubes to see what the go is.

Left it overnight, disconnected the top double banjo bolt, made sure I filled up the back side of the master, and pumped away, success!

fluid flowing nicely.

Filled up the cylinders, made sure I got some pressure, and bled them out again.
    Brakes feel fine.

Popped the brand new top cap on, I basically had to hacksaw the old one off, and she's stopping fine.

I swapped over the old bar grips too, the old ones were an aftermarket brand, probably still ok, but fresh grips make the whole bike look and feel newer.
    In my rush I managed to mix up which was meant for the throttle, and started putting the wrong one on. Once I realised it was impossible to take off, so I smashed the throttle tube. Oh well, probably a good idea to get a fresh one anyway.
    Only thing, it wasn't super easy to fit. Had to take the tank off, airbox off, and free the throttle cables from the mount, and only then was there enough slack to pop it in. Phew. I am an expert at tank removal now. I'm just thankful I didn't have to take the carbs off again.

And so the brakes work, the throttle works, engine runs. Hmmm let's see how she rides.
    Took it around the block (of my private property road) and yes. Feels farken fantastic. So much smoother than the 125s I rode at the Ls course, everything felt rock solid, very easy to ride too. Happy days!

I think another full day cleaning it up, putting the final few things on, and then reinstall all the fairings and time for a blue slip and rego.

Thank you Honda!
    isaacelms and Bikeboom like this.

Junior Biker
    Member #
    Looking at the pics in this thread, I noticed that the instrument lights are pretty dull.

The speed is pretty much invisible above about 40km/h at night, which maybe isn't such a bad idea.
    Anyway, I thought, let's see if there are some nice cheap ebay LEDs that may work here. In my travels around the interwebs, I found Ecliptech, which you may know as the guys who make the pretty awesome LED shift lights for cars and bikes. They have been around for a while, and their latest shift light is pretty solid.

It just so happens, that they had the same thought, and found/made some red LEDs specifically for the MC22 CBR250RR.

They tried various colours (no idea why, RED always wins at night) and came up with this little plug and play solution.

2 bolts hold the cluster in, and out come the 4 old bulbs, pop in the new LEDs, make sure they work,

and viola, perfect nice and bright red instruments.

I'll take a few better pics in the dark soon.

Thank you Ecliptech!
    Last edited by kula; 13th April 2017 at 09:37 PM.

Junior Biker
    Member #
    and I've been thinking about this little engine, mine is a 1991 model, which is known at the CBR250RR - L.
    Later models were a little restricted, but they all had essentially the same 249cc engine.

It runs 4 inline cylinders, of 62.25cc each.

48.5mm bore x 33.8mm stroke. A biiig shot glass is bigger.

Double overhead cams, and 11.0:1 compression.
    4x 29mm carbs, on 1990 91ron fuel.

It made 45PS at 14,500rpm, and 23.5Nm at 11,500rpm.

That's 33kw. From a 1/4 litre.

Let's imagine if that was a car engine.
    Say an NA 2.0 i4 like the famous B18C or a K20A from Honda.
    The same state of tune for that capacity would mean that engine would make 264kw.
    A serious race engine. Now I realise it doesn't exactly work like that, but it just gives you an idea of the technology in these simple little engines.
    Impressive.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CBR250.com
    Advertisements

Junior Biker
    Member #

Mostly ready.
    I still have a few cosmetic things left, but I may try to get a Blue slip tomorrow.

Junior Biker
    Member #
    Putting the fairings and the rest of the bits and pieces on was pretty painless, it was tricky to align the rear, but the front was fine.

The rest of today was tiding up a few loose ends and making sure everything is nice and tight.
    I have no idea how thorough the Blue slip inspection will be, but it won't hurt to try to get every 100%.

The Ctek battery charger I've been using has a permanent mount connector available. I've hard wired this into the battery, and left the connector plug near the rear brake master. It's hidden, yet accessible.

The shop manual specifies locktite in a few spots, so I went through those, I don't want the brakes coming loose on me.

New grips look nicer in the daylight

New mirrors too. the old ones weren't terrible, but super fragile and easily scratched, they must have been Chinaspec ones, cus the clear coat turned to dust.

The mirror and windshield frame was a little tricky to fit, it needed a few bends, but feels nice and solid now.

Honda4lyf

Are deez nuts helmet hangers? How does that work?
    I cleaned up all the nuts and bolts before putting them on, can someone suggest a good clear rust proofer?
    I've presently used either WD40 or Silicon lube.

Rear lights work fine, but the plastic was cracked well before I even saw the bike. I Qbonded it up as best I could, but it's still a stress point.

let's walk around.

I'm thinking a carbon exhaust may make it look too modern. Period correctness is important.
    A few touch ups and that'll do it. I need the blue colour custom made I think.
    isaacelms and Bikeboom like this.

Biker
    Member #
    it's beautiful awesome progress
    kula likes this.

Member #
    Looks fantastic! Hope you enjoy it!

May I ask what price you got it for?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
    kula likes this.

Biker
    Member #
    Those nut thing's are luggage tie down points.

Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315b using Tapatalk
    kula likes this.

Junior Biker
    Member #
    It was kind of abandoned, so a lucky barn find as it were?
    I did track down the owner, and we came to an agreement

Member #
    helmet hangars are under the pilion seat. like hooks. you put one of your helmet straps on it, lock the "boot" and leave it with your bike.
    kula and Bikeboom like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by schultzy View Post
    I stuck a battery up my arse.
    Yeah, that's a cool story...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast