Mean Green- ZXR750 H1 rebuild - Page 14
Close
Login to Your Account
CBR250 Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Mean Green- ZXR750 H1 rebuild

Member #
    So, a bit of progress. Its very slow cos I have cars to look after too, and theyre preferable to drive in this weather. My Granada spat out its brake pads, just to be a cunt.

But really want to get this green bastard running before the good weather hits. Had a problem with my inlet rubbers, they were a different shape to the inlet ports on the head. Crazy Jap bastards, changing shit without telling anyone.

But Ive started to reshape the rubbers using a combination of a (cheap Aldi brand) dremel, half round files, stanley knives and cheap Aldi beer. But its precision work, so when I start seeing double I down tools and go play my recently aquired FREE Nintendo Entertainment System. Yes, there will be a time to grow up, but its sure as fuck not now
    God-Speed, Wurnman and nappa4eva like this.

Biker
    Member #
    haha love reading your thread. it's like a story book, written in a language that allows the mind to imagine the authour's thoughts in great detail.
    Wurnman likes this.
    http://www.facebook.com/MelbourneStreetRiders
    http://www.facebook.com/hwycrew

Junior Biker
    Member #
    Hey Ronski, I have a solution to the brake bleeding issue. I thought I had a decent lever feel what I had was a couple of stuck pistons. I rebuilt my calipers a week or so back, I retained my original brake lines, rotors, and pads. All I did was replaced the seals, including the caliper joint seals, new bleed nipples, also new pad retaining pins.

Somehow I came across a write up on bleeding brakes on a Suzuki forum. Everyone reported amazing results. I thought I would give it a go, in short, it works. The brake lever feels great. I suggest you buy about a litre of brake fluid as you are going to use a lot. I will alos add that I found when there are no air bubbles coming out of the caliper, pump the lever quickly, you will get more, also, stop and tighten the bleed nipple every so often, wait 5 minutes and crack it again, you will get a heap of air out on the first pump after letting it sit for a few minutes. This will change your life.

Anyway, here it is..

Get some teflon tape.
    Get some clear aquarium hose. 5mm.
    Get a catch bottle for the fluid
    Get a wrench to fit bleeders (8mm on most)
    Get a phillips screw driver to remove reservoir lid
    Get a NEW UNOPENED BOTTLE of QUALITY brake fluid. IMPORTANT!!.
    Only takes one person

Put tape on the threads of the bleeders, being careful not to get it so low on the bleeders as to get under them. The teflon tape is important to keep air from seeping past the threads on the bleeders and into the system, as well as keeping the bleeder in place while you pump the lever. The tape is one of the critical parts here. If you wish to not use tape, another option is thread sealant by speed bleeder http://compare.ebay.com/like/3904868...Types&var=sbar. The thread sealant is what makes speedbleeders work really. The hose I am attaching to the nipple of the bleeder once it has fluid in it (after first pump) acts just like the check valve in speedbleeders. Since you need the hose anyway to not make a mess, the check valve is pointless. The key is the sealant on the threads to prevent air seeping past the threads.

Forget the "Pump pump pump, crack.... close... repeat" method. It sucks.

Attach the hose to the bleeders. Run that hose to a catch bottle well above the nipple you are bleeding, so you keep a column of fluid in the hose on top of the bleeder. This column of fluid in the hose on top of the nipples is very important to keep air from going back in the system

Crack the master cylinder bleeder, just enough that you still have some pressure on the lever as you pull it, but fluid is coming out of it also. pump until you get clean clear fluid out of the MC bleeder. I usually run one entire reservoir of fluid through the bleeder. I have also found that letting the lever "snap" back out helps. I am not sure why. It may knock stuck bubbles loose, or cause small bubbles to make bigger bubbles. But it sometimes helps, especially when trying to prime a new system. Re-fill reservoir and move to lower right caliper.

Tap lines lightly with something

Crack bleeder on lower right caliper (with teflon tape on it) again just enough that fluid will pass out of it, but there is some effort at the lever. Run an entire reservoir through it. Close bleeder.

tap on lines again

Repeat with left caliper.

Repeat at all three bleeders, (meaning do this TWICE at EACH bleeder) using about one full reservoir at each bleeder.

remove all hoses and catch bottles. Clean up and ride.

Brake bleeding problems? Look here, fail proof bleeding : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
    ronski, Wurnman and nappa4eva like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CBR250.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Hey y'all... There's no way after reading every message in this thread that i was not going to say how much fun and informative it was reading it.

Glad to see that its a fairly newly dated thread as most concerning classic bikes are 2008 to 2010 and nobody reads anymore. Also interesting to see that it's posted on a Honda forum which incidentally is my favorite manufacturer. So what am i doing with a Kwacker? Reading my blog wurnman.blogspot.com may give some answers. Apologies for the shitty English grammar and style as im not one known for his writing prowess and English not my first language.

Anywhoo, im getting some really tasty information here which i will surely use for my Project ventures in due time. Been a blast doing something like this project although im not as good as Ronski when it comes to taking engines apart.

If you read the blog you'll see that my bike was in pretty horrible state when i started. I even had to buy the last part, a right rearset from an Australian guy named Andrew (on the ZX Forums) who lived in Indonesia and worked in Bangladesh who asked his New Zealand friend who lives now in Australia to sell me one that my mate from South Africa (where im from) to buy it for me and bring it over when he comes back here after living in Ausy for 20yrs. Very global indeed.

Lataz all and thx for the awesome read...

Member #
    Wurnman, your blog is great and your bike is looking really good. I really like your two rules at the start, makes sense. I never did find out why the sprocket cover has a foam lining either...

My project did get finished, but i never updated this thread because I was having too much fun riding it. And then the unthinkable happened, my engine tried to eat itself. Still not sure what exactly was the cause, but a look down one of the inlet ports shows a definite valve/piston interaction. More pics and info when I get round to it

Watch this space

Member #
    Oh man can't wait to read up on it. Really sorry your bike is feeling sick mate.

Thx for the compliments. Like i said it's been a fucking worth while project and the day it ends ill be sorry. Please do update us on your progress.

Lataz, Werner

Quote Originally Posted by ronski View Post
    Wurnman, your blog is great and your bike is looking really good. I really like your two rules at the start, makes sense. I never did find out why the sprocket cover has a foam lining either...

My project did get finished, but i never updated this thread because I was having too much fun riding it. And then the unthinkable happened, my engine tried to eat itself. Still not sure what exactly was the cause, but a look down one of the inlet ports shows a definite valve/piston interaction. More pics and info when I get round to it

Watch this space

Member #
    I have a question so hopefully Ronski or someone else can help me. I see my ZXR needs a high and low beam relay, where can i find these units? I mean apart from ebay the agent here in South Africa has no clue to what i am referring to he cant help me it seems. Any aftermarket website that ships internationally that would have what i need? I am not even sure what they look like or what model numbers these relay's are.

Member #
    I wondered if it had ever been finished. Good to hear it got off the ground at least

\"You know when you see a group of bikers and theres one with a louder exhaust than all the others? You\'re that guy\" - Juxt, TNB

Member #
    You referring to my bike or Ronski?

My bike is getting closer to be finished yes, but still lots of money to get there. Hopefully will have it all sorted out and running without any problems by end of this year... Will post final product once it is done

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314