Login to Your Account
CBR250 Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Mean Green- ZXR750 H1 rebuild

Junior Biker
    Member #

RE: Mean Green- ZXR750 H1 rebuild

I had the rear shock on mine rebuild and set up by Brooke racing in the UK made a difference but still hard, very soild front end though. Sold mine to a fella in Cork, 89 MH 7500 I think she was if you see it around.

Member #

Ok, here we go again.

Breakdown No 1:
    Sitting at red light after working my way to the top of the queue at penrose quay in cork. 7.50 am, dropping the girl into work. Bike dies. Dead.

Traffic light goes green. I feel the sweat on my forehead as i jab repeatedly at the starter.

Nothing.

At.

All.

Walk of shame to the side of the road. I send my girlfriend walking the rest of the way to work. She doesnt mind, shes got plenty of time.. I dont. Phone call to work: "yeah im gonna be late, bike broke down, grovel grovel, etc"

Thank God for carole nash breakdown service. An hour later im drinking a takeaway coffee in the van with my pride and joy securely strapped onto the custom built trailer. (Seriously, this trailer was a serious bit of kit. seriously). Home i go. Into the car.

Had all day at work to think about what happened. At the red light it just stopped, and the starter motor wouldnt even turn. Lights were dim too. Battery wasnt charging so. Time to look at the alternator i think. First thought was, if its fucked at least i can fit the spare one (luckily in the shed i have a spare engine)

So i get the fairing off. Not enough. Although i can get to all the mounting bolts this way, there is a little plastic cover over the drivebelt that needs to be taken off to unhook the belt from the pulley.

Tank had to come off for this, which means side covers and seat. Pretty soon i have a half naked kwacker in the back garden. So i get the alternator off, then follow the wires to disconnect them.

Oh shit.

I really wish i had looked here first:

When we took the engine out, those wires had been held together with a blob of solder. Putting the engine back in i was so impatient to get everything working again that i just used these poxy horrible household connector things (im ashamed of this, but at least i didnt just twist them together...)

So it looks here like the wire has burnt out for some reason and all i had to do was reconnect the wires properly. There had been no need to take the alternator off...

Still, now that the fucker was out, i may as well take a look inside, no?

Sorry about the focus on this one.. These are the brushes that contact the copper shaft in the above photo.

The manual gives specs for minimum length for these and everything was ok, so the alternator went back on the next day. Dont worry, I used proper spade connectors on the wiring this time!

In the Haynes manual it states that: "You will need two torque wrenches and the special Kawasaki workshop tool to correctly tension the alternator drive belt"
    "Ha ha," I thought, "no i fucking wont"...

Member #

HERES A TIP
    When you rebuild an engine. and u put it back in the the bike, and youre so gosh darned excited to take it for a spin that you just cant wait to fire that baby up... dont forget to do the valve clearances first!!!!

Cos then youll just have to get back under the tank to do it, and that means taking off the side panels, the airbox, the carbs...

well, not quite

unhooking speedo and choke cables is such a pain in the ring, why not just suspend the whole assembly from the sky?

then you can get at the good stuff...

4. Remove Advertisements
    CBR250.com
    Advertisements

Biker
    Member #

Nice work with the bungee cord, ronski. Is there nothing they can't do?

Hope you drained the carbs first or it would have been raining in there

That's a bloody big camchain for a 750.

Member #

Well the big green bastard has been going well since the summer but its been in a kind of hibernation for a couple of weeks as the rear tyre looks like Kojaks head. So I've been using the superfour to get me to work. Never had the luxury of two bikes before, its great!

Anyway, this time off the road is a great opportunity to get a few niggly things done. The headers are rattling and the rivets in the can are loose. Also, theres a dent in the pipe near the can, which annoys me every time I look at it. So I'm gonna bring it to a body shop or somewhere, see what they can do. New gaskets will sort out the rattle (its happened before). And while i have the sleeve off the can i may as well repack the fucker.

So getting the pipe off is a bigger job than I remember (isnt it always). I knew that the rad would have to come off but to get decent access to the rad, the front cowl has to come off. Balls. Always fiddly doing that, cos of the hoover pipes etc. Also, it looks like I might have to take off the oil cooler, but hopefully ill be able to just displace it enough, rather than removing the whole lot.

Anyway I've just drained the coolant, so I'd better go make a start... Pics tomorrow. (maybe)

Member #

Lengendary Ronski, keep tinkering.

Super Moderator
    Member #

My 7R needs some TLC restoration and this thread motivates me but I keep putting it off until "tomorrow"

Member #

Quote Originally Posted by K916
    My 7R needs some TLC restoration and this thread motivates me but I keep putting it off until "tomorrow"
    whats stoppin ya..? :P

Junior Biker
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by ronski
    Orange, youre in cork right? I left the head, block and pistons into cawleys on forge hill. He charged me 500 euro. Hes out of business now, and i feel he overcharged me anyway. I asked him to polish the inlet ports, and when i got the head back it looked like someone had just stuck a dremel into them and waggled it around a bit. As far as i know, he outsourced most of the work to murphys engine reconditioning. He got the piston rings for me and fitted them, but im sure i could have managed that myself..

dont have a number for murphys but everyone knows them i think. Cork engine centre in little island will do that kinda stuff too, i got my valve shims machined in there and they were good to deal with, none of this 'im better than you' crap.

got the rad and the oil cooler done in lee radiator services in the marina business park. that was kinda pricey too, over 80 euro i think. But the guy there knocked a bit off the price when i moaned a little. And when u think about it, theres a fair bit of work in sitting down and straightening out every little fucking fin. And i was really happy with the result. Even tacked on a homemade 'fender extender' onto the front mudguard cos i couldnt bear seeing that lovely oil filter getting all clogged again...

your project sounds very interesting.. will the 900 engine go in alright?
    Nice project man, well done on some comprehensive work
    I must check out these boys lee rad services as i need an oil cooler pressure tested.

Member #

Lee Radiator Services 0214311588

Where you based?

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast