CBR250 Forums banner

Chain/sprocket mod

6K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Lane 
#1 ·
All right, so after I've had a bit of a play on the bike, I've decided it's pretty fast, but can be faster, obviously. I don't need a top speed of over 200km/h because I'm never going to do it, so I've decided to change the sprockets/chain.

I'm thinking of doing a 520 chain conversion, because supposedly it's more efficient or something, TBH, it's just so I can fit a 160 on the rear easier without scrubbing the tyre on the chain. I'll be changing the sprockets to 14T-front, and a 4somethingT-rear..

I'm just wondering if anyone has done this, and if so, is it easy or difficult or a pain in the arse or what? And is there any special tools you need to break the chain and to put the new chain on..

#3 ·
Haha. There are so many more choices in a 160 rear, as opposed to the 150 though. And I've been searching through 400greybike for ageeees, and there isn't info on how to do it, and if it's worthwhile or not.. And obviously I don't want a CBR guide, considering it's a completely different bike and is not a single sided swingarm..

While on the topic of chains, does anyone have a chain adjuster they do not want and I can purchase??

#6 ·
Jashdown said:
because supposedly it's more efficient or something
^^^ this line right here has me concerned..but anyhoo

i think for a 14T front sprocket you would want to use a 40, 41 or 42T rear (can't remember exactly which one but it's one of those). i hope you actually have a better reason for wanting to change your gearing and chain than wishing to fit a 160 rear! your speedo reading will also be off albeit slightly i think.

if the chain that's on there has a rivet style masterlink, you'll need to grind off the head and then use a chain breaker tool to push the pin out to remove the chain. you'll need a chain rivet tool to put the new chain on (if it comes with a rivet masterlink that is) but you can get 2in1 tools that will break the chain and also rivet....all i can say is good luck getting the front sprocket off. it's a right royal pain in the anus!!

#7 ·
Well I've been reading on 400greybike and from what I've seen, it's a lighter chain, so more efficient, less power loss, and apparently a 525 chain is overkill for a 400. Only difference is that the 520 is more maintenance which is no problem. Oh and also the 520 chains are a lot cheaper than 525 chains, which is a big bonus.

Have you changed the sprockets ron? The speedo will read 7% lower with a 14t front sprocket so that shouldn't be a problem, I'll be able to (hopefully) work out the correction at the time :S

So after I take the current chain off, will it be completely useless from then? Haha what's the problem with the front sprocket? Is the bolt seized on or something? Breaker bar and WD40?[hr]
Oh, and no I don't want to just change my gearing so I can get a 160 rear. Haha, I want the acceleration.

#8 ·
yeh quicker acceleration is always welcome. i mean i also considered going down this same route when i first got my RVF but changed my mind can't remember exactly what made me change my mind but i think the wear rate of the 520 chain was one of the main reasons. the 520 chains may be cheaper but i don't know about them being a lot cheaper than the 525 at least none that i had found to significantly sway me otherwise.

i have changed the sprockets but i kept the standard setup (15, 38...to be honest the standard setup on the 35 is pretty much on the money)...i think next time around i would keep the 525, the 38 on the rear and just drop a tooth on the front.

yeh if you're going to remove the chain..you don't want to put it back on. my front sprocket was seized on like crazy. as my boss says 'it was on there tighter than a nun's c*nt!' lol...it took heat, solid hammer knocks, breaker bar, wd40 and an impact driver to get it off! i highly doubted that it was properly torqued.

word of advice is make sure you get the front sprocket off before you take the chain off...makes the task just that much more frustrating if you do it the other way round like i did but i'm the wiser for it now :D.

#9 ·
Yeah, it's just that I don't really need a top speed of 220km/h haha, so I would rather quicker acceleration.

I'll have a look at the price difference with the chains, if there isn't too much difference, I might just stick with the 525 pitch chain, because then I'll be able to use the standard sprockets again if need be, and yeah it won't wear out as fast. But definitely going -1 on the front, and most likely +2 or 3 on the rear. It will make it easier for corners as well, and general riding, because first is sooo tall for a 400.

It's sounding like the front sprocket is going to be a prick, I might get a long piece of steel tubing and put it over the handle of the breaker bar, for extra leverage, might help a bit, I have an impact driver and WD40 as well. Looks like I'll be in for a free work out, can't wait.

Oh and also, where did you get the chain adjuster from? Or did you get the tool kit with your bike?

#12 ·
yeh the 30 has a taller 1st gear. most don't regard the 35 to have much of a tall 1st gear. well compared to the 30 anyway.

honestly mate i can't remember how much it cost me...probly somewhere between $30-40

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.